Prevention and Wellness Services
Prevention & Wellness provides population and community based services in Cuyahoga County and Northeastern Ohio. Our programs and services aim to improve health status and eliminate differences in health outcomes of people who live, work and play in our communities. Staff includes nurses, social workers, dieticians, community health educators, case managers and support staff.
Our programs and services:
Shape health policy in our area
- HIP-C or Health Improvement Partnership- Cuyahoga - a community driven process to improve quality of life of people in Cuyahoga County.
- Creating Healthy Communities - helps communities create changes to support healthy lifestyles.
Promotes healthy lifestyles
- Tobacco-Free Living- provides information about smoking effects, referrals for help to quit smoking, and assistance helping school and work sites develop 100% tobacco-free policies.
- School Health- Provides contracted nursing services and wellness activities.
Increase access & affordability of health care by linking people to services and resources available in our area
- The Breast & Cervical Cancer Program - helps uninsured or underinsured women greater than 40 years of age have access to mammograms and Pap smears through local health care providers.
- Dental Options - helps link clients with dentists who provide care for a discounted or donated rate.
- Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps - helps decreases out of pocket costs for families with children with a suspected or diagnosed medical condition.
Provide low to no cost safety net services
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Part A Services
- Vaccine shots- travel clinics, flu, immigrant, and child and adult clinics
- Family planning- STD testing and treatment, pregnancy testing, HIV testing.
- Children & Family Health Services- Helps pregnant women and children stay heatlhy.
- School-based Dental Sealant Program- Free dental sealants for children in 2nd and 6th grades.
Provide outreach services and education to at-risk and difficult to reach populations
- Welcome Home - Newborn home visiting to at-risk families within the first 6 weeks of life
- Teen Wellness Initiative- Sexual education in the Cleveland Municipal School District for 9th and 10th graders and community based pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention.
- Prevent Premature Fatherhood- targets pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention education to teenage boys.
- Personal Responsiblity and Education Program (PREP)- targets pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention education to youth in the foster care and juvenile justice systems.
Provide health-related surveillance and analysis
- Child Fatality Review - reviews the causes of death of all children less than 18 years of age in Cuyahoga County and makes recommendations to decrease preventable deaths.
- Children Family Health Services Indicator report - health profiles of each neighborhood in Cleveland and suburb in Cuyahoga County.
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey - self-report behavior survey of local teens including sexual practices, tobacco and illicit drug use, and wellness activities.
Collaborates with other professionals and agencies throughout our region
- Immunization Action Plan - works with health care providers to increase the number of children who receive their shots on time.